Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Small accomplishments

I was fishing around my phone photo files and really didn’t see much that “inspired” me to write something. It was a toss up between this one and another picture of my cat. I chose this one.

A bit of background for this picture, Sunday I got an invite to go play some disc golf with Brother Kyle and good friend John. Naturally I said yes. The course itself was really cool but the air around us was humid because they water the grass once every ten minuets it seems. But to make a long story short, this was on the back leg of the course and Kyle sinks a midrange shot a good distance out. I was so jealous.

Now I also have an amazing shot under my belt as well at a different course. I hold that shot high and enjoy its replay in my mind. But I’m here at work writing about this and realized that I could get stupid “Kudos” for a good call or any other sort of office life praises and I would gladly trade them in for an amazing disc golf shot. I would rather have a terrible day at work and an amazing disc golf shot rather than an amazing day at work and not disc golf whatsoever.

This can go two ways I think. I can have my priorities in perfect order or my priorities can be way out of alignment. Knowing myself, the latter is probably the case. But (like the heading states) the few smaller things in life really get me through the day. It’s my own personal accomplishment that I can be proud of even if no one else understands.

- Setting up my computer finally the way I want it, small accomplishment.
- Finally remembering to actually cook dinner for Mitchi, small accomplishment
- Organizing my action figures so the bad guys are not mixed with the good guys, small accomplishment.
- Riding my bike to Smiths with Mitchi to go grocery shopping, small accomplishment.
- Amazing disc golf shot, small accomplishment.

These are small goals that try to reach and these I seem to be more proud of then anything else. I often feel like a child asking my parents to put my work on the fridge and I’m truly blessed that Mitchi doesn’t make fun of me for it. She really seems to understand that part of my seemingly messed up head.

My big accomplishments are usually non existent. Last big goal, get a house, Success. Before that, get married to Mitchi, success. But I don’t set a lot of big goals because I’m often disappointed. I could list out a few failed big goals but it would just make me frustrated.

Which brings me to the Saying “Aim for the sky because if you miss your still among the stars.” I hate it. I often think. Yes you’re among the stars but now you can’t breath because there is no oxygen. You’re also going to freeze because the temperature would be -459 and you probably didn’t bring insulation. If you plan for both of those then you also have to think about radiation. Then the idea of food, water, bathroom and all that.

So not only are you among the starts but your plan B, C, D, E must also be planned out and finalized. Knowing the attention span of the average human by bet would be that plan A would be 50% thought out. Also, if you shoot for the starts and come up short, that’s one hell of a journey back down to earth. You may just end up wishing you shot for the top of your house, the worse that’s going to happen is a sprained ankle.

No comments: